Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: The Year In Review

General Strike - My Other Body
Walter Wanderley Trio with Astrud Gilberto - It's A Lovely Day Today
Brigitte Fontaine & Areski Belkacem - Cher
Pentangle - Willy O'Winsbury
Pierre Laniau - Petit Musique de Clown Triste 
Philip Catherine - Jeux Interdits
10cc - Gismo My Way
China Crisis - No More Blue Horizons
The Kinks - I Go To Sleep (demo)
Carole King - Porpoise Song (demo)
Modern Eon - Choreography
Bent - Stay The Same
Skeeter Davis - Give Me Death
Cocteau Twins - Watchlar
The Field Mice - Let's Kiss And Make Up
Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin - Henry And James
Ryuichi Sakamoto & Robin Scott - The Left Bank
Los Relampagos - Danza Del Fuego
Richard Berry & The Pharaohs - Louie Louie

Here are my top finds of the year, as near as I can make out, listed in order of post-date. Many thanks to all who listened and/or commented over the course of the year. Wishing you all a spacious 2013.

artwork by Yokoo Tadanori

Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope as much great findings as in 2012.

My TOP 8 of artdecade discoveries in 2012:

Willie o' Winsbury - Pentangle (No. 1)

in no particular order:

Rebecca - Terry M.
Silversong - Mellow Candle
Lullaby - Art Tatum
Spain - Bela Flack
Thunder II - Renegade Soundwave
Tiritando - Pintura Fresca
Kinder Blumen - Real Estate

ano 2

emmett said...

Hey Ano, very cool to see your picks. Pentangle is my number #1 too - at least we agree on that! :)

Cool that you liked that Renegade Soundwave jam... I was iffy on that one.

I would've put Mellow Candle in my best-of but there's an abundance of super-melancholy songs in there already. Maybe I'll add it in anyway?

So many sad/heavy songs, for some reason... hope folks enjoy 'em anyway.

Big B said...

Emmett, Happy New Year! So glad to see "Cher" on your list by Brigitte Fontaine. That was on heavy rotation down in Big D.

Cheers.

emmett said...

Thanks, B. OK, I've added Mellow Candle to the roster. More sad girls singing...

Anonymous said...

Henry and James absolutely SLAYS me, did Dave Stewart do any other interesting solo stuff?

Thanks again for all the great finds guys, keep on keepin on.

I seriously think about 30% of my favourite discoveries of the last five years come from your sight.

Hope you have a great 2013

James