Friday, January 19, 2007



The Art Of Noise:
Moments In Love (12" beaten version) [1985]
Moments In Love (original version) [1983]

This is fantastic. As the bio of Art Of Noise on discogs.com says, "Moments In Love anticipated an entire genre -- chillout." The song worked very well yesterday as I was riding on a bus through Central Park and then past glamourous Madison Avenue shop windows.

Both long and "short" versions have their pros and cons, and both should be heard.

Buy some Art Of Noise CDs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer the long version. The '83 version is a little busy, and the bongo drums in the beginning get on my nerves a bit. I also don't like the synth at the end of the short version. I love the long version though, all 53 minutes of it.

The long version sounds like it could have been something written by Aphex Twin on a day when they weren't feeling quite so minimalist. The "Now, now, now, now, now" chant in the middle of the long version made me feel nervous though. Like I am missing out on something in life. Like I should stop reading music blogs and get some fresh air.

Big B said...

Wow. Emmet posts Art of Noise!? I remember this song as it played from my older sister's bedroom and thinking how far out it sounded. Now, it does sound a bit dated but the arrangement is great.

Mike, get some fresh air.

Anonymous said...

When working for their latest album the Pet Shop Boys intended to use a sample from this song and asked producer Trevor Horn for permission. Unfortunately they did not use it afterwards because Trevor was claiming all royalties from this new song.