Tuesday, January 30, 2007















Hurricane Smith: Don't Let It Die [1971]

"What we see is what we choose..."

Hmm. What's up with the horses?
Former engineer for The Beatles and producer for Pink Floyd pens a psychedelic nugget under the name Hurricane Smith. By the end, the track almost collapses on itself with the wurlitzer swooning and the accompanying string section sounding seasick. Overall, a straggly little pop gem.

Perhaps anything sounding faintly like The Beatles in the early Seventies was enough to be a U.K hit. And, why not?


Support Hurricane "Normal" Smith here

6 comments:

Emmett said...

I like to think that Dylan's "Hurricane" is also partly about Normal.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever read the Lester Bangs piece on Dylan's "Hurricane"? I'll give it to you if I can find it. He didn't love it. He didn't love Dylan either. Not at all.

Anonymous said...

'fraid I'm with Lester Bangs and I'm old enough to make the judgement on everything since Highway 61 as an active consumer. My brother now, he thinks Dylan is the Man.
Derek

Emmett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emmett said...

I'm with Derek's brother on this one.

Anonymous said...

The hit for Hurricane, which has nothing to do with Bob Dylan, was "Oh, Babe What Would You Say," or something like that. I think he was an engineer on Dark Side Of The Moon, btw.