Sunday, January 11, 2009


February 5th, 1993
The Ritz
New York

Ritz Power Jam -
Back at the Chicken Shack (Jimmy Smith)
Born Under a Bad Sign (Albert King)
Let It Rock (Chuck Berry)
Improv Blues in G
She Caught the Katy (Taj Mahal)
Down the Road (Elvis Presley)
A Mess of Blues (Elvis Presley)
Little Wing (Jimi Hendrix)
Day Tripper (Beatles)
Escaping (John Popper)
Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
Hip Hug-Her (Booker T & The MG's)
Rock Me Baby (B.B. King)
In the Wee Wee Hours (Chuck Berry)
Red House (Jimi Hendrix)
Yonder Wall (Junior Wells)
She Belongs To Me (Bob Dylan)
Not Fade Away (Buddy Holly)
That's Heaven To Me (Eddie Cochran)
Just Before the Bullets Fly (Warren Haynes)
I've Been Loving You Too Long (Otis Redding)
Spanish Moon (Little Feat)
All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Gloria (Van Morrison)

With
Warren Haynes: electric guitar & vocals
John Popper: harmonica & vocals
Noel Redding: bass & acoustic guitar
Lincoln Schleifer: bass
Chuck Leavell: piano
Bernie Worrell: clavinet, organ
Jaimoe: drums
Jerome Brailey: drums
Marc Quiñones: percussion
Trey Anastasio (Last three songs)
Dave Matthews (All Along the Watchtower)
Mike Gordon (Gloria)

Full information available here.

5 comments:

ib said...

I wasn't convinced I'd warm to this, despite the stellar line-up, Mike; but the versions and the musicianship elevate this set above any expectations. Great stuff I would never have sought out left to my own devices.

Mike said...

Thanks for the comment, ib. I don't know how I feel about it myself. Some of the Noel Redding acoustic stuff is fun, but otherwise it seems to be mostly the Warren Haynes / John Popper show. I was at the Phish show at Roseland earlier that evening (which Warren references during the set), and there was a lot of chatter at that show about the Ritz set later that night. I skipped the Ritz set, probably because I was a senior in high school at the time and had classes the next day. Anyway, as Emmett will tell you, my current feelings about Warren are well documented, and looking back at it now I don't feel like I missed much. That said, since 2009 is going to be a big year for jam bands (the returns of the Dead and Phish), I thought I would post something that epitomized the jam period from the early 90's... which was a period when jam bands were 100 times more interesting to me than they've been since.

Glad it is growing on you though. It's a lot of instruments.

Anonymous said...

The exciting name in this line-up (for me) is Jerome "Bigfoot" Brailey, previously mentioned here.

Anonymous said...

Was this originally released as a three-sides album?
Also, where's "She Caught the Katy
(Taj Mahal cover) vocals: John Popper"? Just asking, this will last me a long time.

Mike said...

Hi Leo... I don't know if this was ever released as a 3 side album, though it might have been a bootleg release at some point. Good catch on She Caught the Katy. It's evene uploaded, but I forgot to include the link. Thanks for the head's up on that, and I am glad that you are enjoying this!