Saturday, May 25, 2013

John Cage - Music For Marcel Duchamp

Performed by the great Stephen Drury, another gem from this must-own CD.

Nice to hear the riff from You Really Got Me* anticipated at 0:47.

I like the music video for this song too.



"I asked her (Gita Sarabhai) what her teacher had said was the purpose of music. At the same time another composer with whom I was closely associated at the time (Lou Harrison) was also concerned to discover why we were writing music. The Indian musician told me that her teacher had said the purpose of music is to sober and quiet the mind, thus making it susceptible to divine influences." 
 -John Cage
(hear the full interview here)

*kind of more the Van Halen version

2 comments:

wharf99 said...

Yeah, the Drury interpretations of Cage are excellent - this is a key album in my collection. Great choice!

Anonymous said...

Re: I like the music video for this song too.

So do I. Goddammit! It's fabulous! thanx for sharing....

Marcel D. - another Cadaques Veteran(o) - is!

ano 2