Sunday, March 18, 2007














Neil Diamond: Prologue [1973]
Neil Diamond: Be [1973]

Here are the opening and closing tracks to the soundtrack for Jonathan Livingston Seagull, which was composed by Neil Diamond and won the award for "Album of Best Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or a Television Special" at the 1974 Grammy Awards. According to Wikipedia the soundtrack grossed more than the film itself.

I am reminded of two things when I when I hear Jonathan Livingston Seagull: my mom taking me when I was a kid to an art-house cinema in Paris, and Beavis and Butt-head.

Buy the soundtrack to Jonathan Livingston Seagull here. It's actually quite wonderful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back when i used to sing, one of the most oblique criticisms i ever received was that i sounded like "Neil Diamond".

Despite the fact the comment was loaded with uncharitable intent - and the person who made it somewhat of a cretin - i nonetheless took perverse delight in this slight, given that the Monkees were childhood favourites dear to my heart (although of course his role precluded actually performing) and that my dad played "I Am, I Said" to death by way of subtle rebuke.

Nice post, Mike. I salute you, "Jonathan Livingston Seagull."

Anonymous said...

Did Reader's Digest ever publish the condensed version of Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

DJ Choppercat said...

Too Fly Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes are American Literature kindred spirits...

both read and adored by me as a California 'granola' BRADY/Partridge wanna-be.

I cried over JLS's struggle and never got into the deepeer meanings and parable that is the story...just that need for speed or glory..that eventually turned both of those characters into wise, silent and calm teachers.

Also, loved Neil Diamond in the VW beetle traveling through Sonora foothills toward Yosemite with my family.

Great to find these songs that at the moment am not hearing, but savoring the soul and heart strings they will surely pull.

I hope to blog in my music blog about your blog and include a few tracks and hope that is not an imposition.

My blog is a take on NEW POP. I still have it in me to immerse myself in britpop.punkish.disco.electronic before reaching 50 this decade coming. My blog is at http://www.bigcontact.com/choppercat

Please visit and leave a shoutout.