Monday, July 23, 2007


The Who: Eminence Front [1982]

This was supposed to be one of the first songs on this site, and then I saw that it had been a Bumrocks joint back in the day so I shelved it, and then it got bandied about on Dream Chimney so I shelved it again, but dammit, the time has come for E.F. to have its day in the sun on this blog. Just a massive, massive track and one of the best things they ever did. Inspirational and confrontational. Hats off to The Ox for his work on the choruses.

This was also one of my favorite videos from the early days of MTV. Note that the video is a live-on-soundstage performance of the song, not a lip-synch.

from the album It's Hard

4 comments:

davyh said...

Never heard this before. Bought the single 'Athena' off this LP, which was kinda OK... this is much better though. Did you hear the song 'Old Red Wine' Townsend wrote for The Ox that appears on the 'Then And Now' comp Emmett? It is the best thing I have heard from him/them in years...

Emmett said...

Davy, thanks for the tip on Old Red Wine. I have not heard it. Yes, Athena was the leadoff single from this album but there was a video for Eminence and I was very into it at the time. For me, at least, it still packs a wallop after hundreds of lessons, I mean listens. That little instrumental bridge, for instance (just before "Come and join the party...") is genius. On a side note, in my mind this track is somehow connected to Don Henley's Dirty Laundry... for whatever that's worth. :)

Ced said...

peter gabriel steal this song !

Anonymous said...

The connection between them is understandable without doubt. They are both in the key of F minor - except the end of "Dirty Laundry" - and sound alike on almost all other premises. These songs, indeed, are twins