Sunday, March 30, 2008


The Smiths:
William, It Was Really Nothing
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Please, Please, Please was the B-side on this single released on August 24, 1984. Three years later Morrissey had this to say about the track:

I think it was very close indeed [to being a perfect song], and hiding it away on a B-side was sinful. I feel sad about it now although we did include it on Hatful Of Hollow by way of semi-repentance. When we first played it to Rough Trade, they kept asking, "where's the rest of the song?" But to me, it's like a very brief punch in the face. Lengthening the song would, to my mind, have simply been explaining the blindingly obvious.

2 comments:

davyh said...

It is self-evidently a work of considerable genius, and it shall endure ny friends, it shall endure.

Big B said...

i second that